Wednesday 20 June 2012

Song Of The Week: NOFX - Blasphemy (The Victimless Crime)



I know I'm a bit late for this, I promised I'd post these on Sunday.But better late than never, right? NOFX have been going since the 80s and are still going strong. Although their albums all have different flavours, they always stay true to their roots. Coaster is one hell of a fun album, also one hell of a funny one. With lyrics pondering if Tegan and Sarah have threesomes and calling the sexuality of metalheads into question (metal is the genre I listen to most, but hey, I can take a joke), the album is chock full of punchlines. They also have some less comical songs such as "My Orphan Year." They have good music to back up whatever their lyrics may be about. 

Its no secret that NOFX has a strong distain for religion. Along with "Best God In Show", this song satires the fuck out of organized religion. With lines like "Jesus Christ, the blackest Jew", "Mother Mary, the virgin whore" and "But I'll never make a crack about Mohammed, because I don't want to get shot in the chest", NOFX have no qualms about making people uncomfortable. This song is catchy, memorable and hilarious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment